Definitions for Nibbleˈnɪb əl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Nibble
a small byte
bite off very small pieces
"She nibbled on her cracker"
"The woman tenderly nibbled at her baby's ear"
nibble, pick, piece(verb)
eat intermittently; take small bites of
"He pieced at the sandwich all morning"; "She never eats a full meal--she just nibbles"
Hence: (Fig.) An expression of interest, often tentative, as at the beginning of a sale or negotiation process.
A unit of memory equal to half a byte, or four bits.
Origin: Perhaps from nibbeln.
to bite by little at a time; to seize gently with the mouth; to eat slowly or in small bits
to bite upon something gently or cautiously; to eat a little of a thing, as by taking small bits cautiously; as, fishes nibble at the bait
a small or cautious bite
Origin: [Cf. Nip.]
In computing, a nibble is a four-bit aggregation, or half an octet. As a nibble contains 4 bits, there are sixteen possible values, so a nibble corresponds to a single hexadecimal digit. A full byte is represented by two hexadecimal digits; therefore, it is common to display a byte of information as two nibbles. The nibble is often called a "semioctet" or a "quartet" in a networking or telecommunication context. Sometimes the set of all 256 byte values is represented as a table 16×16, which gives easily readable hexadecimal codes for each value.
Translations for Nibble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- okusovat, ohlodávat, hlodatCzech
- Nibble, knabbernGerman
- περιτρώγω, μεζεδάκια, τσιμπολόγημα, ημιψηφιόλεξη, μεζέδες, ροκανίζω, τσιμπολογώGreek
- comiscar, comisquear, picotearSpanish
- naksu, näykkäistä, näykkäisy, puolitavu, näykkiäFinnish
- quartet, semioctet, tétrade, nibble, grignoterFrench
- criomScottish Gaelic
- falat, majszolHungarian
- rosicare, mordicchiare, boccone, unità di 4 bit, morso, semibyte, morsetto, bocconcino, stuzzichino, rosicchiareItalian
- tongi, kōhonihoni, kai whakapītaitaiMāori
- knabbelen, nibbleDutch
- mordiscar, mordisco, beliscadaPortuguese
- грызть, ниббл, полубайтRussian
Get even more translations for Nibble »
Find a translation for the Nibble definition in other languages:
Select another language: