Definitions for Millenniummɪˈlɛn i əm; -ni ə
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Millennium
a span of 1000 years
(New Testament) in Revelations it is foretold that those faithful to Jesus will reign with Jesus over the earth for a thousand years; the meaning of these words have been much debated; some denominations (e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses) expect it to be a thousand years of justice and peace and happiness
the 1000th anniversary (or the celebration of it)
A period of time consisting of one thousand years.
The period of one thousand years during which Christ will reign on earth (according to Millenarianist interpretations).
A period of universal happiness, peace or prosperity; a utopia.
The year 2000.
Origin: From post-classical millennium, from mille + -ennium (from annus).
a thousand years; especially, the thousand years mentioned in the twentieth chapter in the twentieth chapter of Revelation, during which holiness is to be triumphant throughout the world. Some believe that, during this period, Christ will reign on earth in person with his saints
A millennium is a period of time equal to one thousand years. It derives from the Latin mille, thousand, and annus, year. It is often, but not necessarily, related to a particular dating system. Sometimes, it is used specifically for periods of thousand years that begin at the starting point of the calendar in consideration, or in later years that are whole number multiples of a thousand years after it. The term can also refer to an interval of time beginning on any date. Frequently in the latter case it may have religious or theological implications. Sometimes in use, such an interval called a "millennium" might be interpreted less precisely, i.e., not always being exactly 1000 years long. It could be, for example, 1050, 1500, etc.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A thousand years beginning with Now and ending with Then. 2. A mythical period when every one will pay his debts and begin tomorrow again on renewed credit. 3. A religious cycle which has no visible means of support, even admitting the ideality of time. Hence, by extension and usage--[Here insert a Mergenthaler pi line of thirty-two ems.]
Translations for Millennium
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- mil·lenniCatalan, Valencian
- tisíciletí, miléniumCzech
- Jahrtausend, MillenniumGerman
- هزارهی حکومت عیسی بر جهان, دوران طلایی, هزاره, هزارهی سومPersian
- millennium, tuhatvuotinen valtakunta, vuosituhatFinnish
- árþúsund, þúsöldIcelandic
- 千年王国, 千年紀, 千年間, 至福千年, 千年期Japanese
- JoerdausendLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- alaf, mileniumMalay
- tusenår, årtusen, millenniumNorwegian
- tusenår, millenniumNorwegian Nynorsk
- tysiąclecie, mileniumPolish
- tisućleće, тисућлећеSerbo-Croatian
- milénium, tisícročieSlovak
- årtusende, millenniumSwedish
- సహస్రాబ్ది, వెయ్యేళ్ళుTelugu
- milenyum, binyılTurkish
- thiên niên kỷVietnamese
Get even more translations for Millennium »
Find a translation for the Millennium definition in other languages:
Select another language: