Definitions for MAIDmeɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word MAID
maid, maidservant, housemaid, amah(noun)
a female domestic
an unmarried girl (especially a virgin)
A girl or an unmarried young woman; maiden.
Note -- maid is often used in the common or species names of flowering plants.
A female servant or cleaner (short for maidservant).
A virgin of either gender.
Origin: mayde, maide, abbreviation of maiden.
an unmarried woman; usually, a young unmarried woman; esp., a girl; a virgin; a maiden
a man who has not had sexual intercourse
a female servant
the female of a ray or skate, esp. of the gray skate (Raia batis), and of the thornback (R. clavata)
Origin: [Shortened from maiden. . See Maiden.]
A maid, or housemaid or maidservant, is a female person employed in domestic service. Although now usually found only in the most wealthy of households, in the Victorian era domestic service was the second largest category of employment in England and Wales, after agricultural work.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
mād, n. an unmarried woman, esp. one young: a virgin: a female servant.—ns. Maid′-child (B.), a female child; Maid′-Mā′rian, the May-queen; a character in the old Morris-dance, usually represented by a man in woman's clothes (Marian, relating to Mary or to the Virgin Mary).—adj. Maid′-pale (Shak.), pale, like a sick girl.—n. Maid′servant, a female servant.—Maid of all work, a domestic who does general housework; Old maid, a woman left unmarried: a card game. [A.S. mægden—mægeð, a maid; cf. magu, son, mǽg, may.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'MAID' in Nouns Frequency: #2737
amid, diam, diam.
The numerical value of MAID in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of MAID in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A kiss To a young girl, faith to a married woman, hope to an old maid, charity.
Being an old maid is like death by drowning, a really delightful sensation after you cease to struggle.
My father was a bartender at a hotel and my mother was a maid, the kind of people Donald Trump hires from other countries.
Can it be that chance has made me one of those women so immersed in one man that, whether they are barren or not, they carry with them to the grave the shriveled innocence of an old maid?
I want to tell you a story about someone that didn't speak English that well. It was my grandfather, my grandfather instilled in me the belief that I was blessed to live in the one society in all of human history where even I, the son of a bartender and a maid, could aspire to have anything, and be anything that I was willing to work hard to achieve. But he taught me that in Spanish, because it was the language he was most comfortable in.
Images & Illustrations of MAID
Translations for MAID
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فتاة, خادمةArabic
- plac'h, merc'hBreton
- criadaCatalan, Valencian
- merch, rhiain, morwyn, genethWelsh
- Dienstmädchen, MädchenGerman
- asistenta, doncella, gata, chopa, sirvienta, empleada doméstica, chacha, señora de servicio, criada, mucama, nacha, muchacha de servicio, doméstica, cachifa, nana, señorita, muca, fregona, asesora del hogar, choleraSpanish
- palvelustyttö, piika, neitoFinnish
- domestique, bonne, demoiselle, servante, bonne à tout faire, jeune filleFrench
- ainnir, cailín, maighdeanIrish
- maighdeann, ban-òglach, òigh, gruagach, rìbhinn, ainnirScottish Gaelic
- लड़की, नौकरानीHindi
- աղախին, օրիորդArmenian
- serviente, seniorettaInterlingua
- bantu, babuIndonesian
- signorina, camerieraItalian
- 女中, メイド, 少女Japanese
- 少女, 下女, 하녀, 소녀Korean
- कामवाली बाई, बाईMarathi
- meisje, dienstmeid, meidDutch
- tjenestejente, pike, stuepikeNorwegian
- servente, moça, empregada, donzelaPortuguese
- горничная, дева, девушка, девица, служанкаRussian
- biigaNorthern Sami
- moma, djevojka, djeva, služavka, мома, девојка, sluškinja, собарица, дева, sobarica, дјевојка, дјева, служавка, слушкиња, devojka, devaSerbo-Croatian
- jungfru, hembiträde, möSwedish
- wafanyikazi, mfanyikaziSwahili
- పనిపిల్ల, కన్యTelugu
- نوکرانی, لڑکیUrdu
- 少女, con gái, thiếu nữ, hầu gái, đầy tớ gáiVietnamese
Get even more translations for MAID »
Find a translation for the MAID definition in other languages:
Select another language: