location near or direction toward the left side; i.e. the side to the north when a person or object faces east
"she stood on the left"
left, left wing(noun)
those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare
left, left hand(noun)
the hand that is on the left side of the body
"jab with your left"
left field, leftfield, left(noun)
the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left
"the batter flied out to left"
a turn toward the side of the body that is on the north when the person is facing east
"take a left at the corner"
being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north
"my left hand"; "left center field"; "the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream"
leftover, left over(p), left(p), odd, remaining, unexpended(adj)
not used up
"leftover meatloaf"; "she had a little money left over so she went to a movie"; "some odd dollars left"; "saved the remaining sandwiches for supper"; "unexpended provisions"
intended for the left hand
"I rarely lose a left-hand glove"
of or belonging to the political or intellectual left
toward or on the left; also used figuratively
"he looked right and left"; "the political party has moved left"
of or pertaining to that side of the body in man on which the muscular action of the limbs is usually weaker than on the other side; -- opposed to right, when used in reference to a part of the body; as, the left hand, or arm; the left ear. Also said of the corresponding side of the lower animals
that part of surrounding space toward which the left side of one's body is turned; as, the house is on the left when you face North
those members of a legislative assembly (as in France) who are in the opposition; the advanced republicans and extreme radicals. They have their seats at the left-hand side of the presiding officer. See Center, and Right
Origin: [OE. left, lift, luft; akin to Fries. leeft, OD. lucht, luft; cf. AS. left (equiv. to L. inanis), lyftdl palsy; or cf. AS. lf weak.]
Left is the second and final album by the band Hope of the States, released on June 19, 2006. It was released on CD, DualDisc CD/DVD, and as a limited edition double 10" vinyl. The album was preceded by two singles, the limited edition "Blood Meridian EP" and "Sing It Out", which reached #39 in the singles charts. The album itself reached #50 on the UK album charts on its initial release. The album was described as slightly more accessible and guitar-oriented than were the tracks on Hope of the States's debut, The Lost Riots. There followed a further single, the title track Left, which charted at #63 in August 2006, shortly before the band announced their split.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
left, pa.p. (Spens.) lifted.
left, pa.t. and pa.p. of leave.—adj. Left′-off, laid aside.
left, adj. being on the left side—also Left′-hand.—n. the side opposite to the right: the part of an assembly sitting on the president's left hand, generally the more liberal or democratic section.—adv. toward the left.—adj. Left′-hand′ed, having the left hand stronger and readier than the right: awkward: unlucky.—ns. Left′-hand′edness; Left′-hand′er, a blow with the left hand, a sudden and unexpected attack; Left′-hand′iness, awkwardness.—adv. Left′ward, towards the left: on the left side. [M. E. lift, left—A.S. left for lyft, weak; prob. allied to lop.]
When an animal, human or object is naturally facing forward it is located or situated to the direction east.
When the GPS system said turn left, I knew intuitively it was to the direction east as my left hand is on the east side of my body.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #251
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Written Corpus Frequency: #341
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Nouns Frequency: #1258
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Adjectives Frequency: #130
The numerical value of LEFT in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of LEFT in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I missed it right in regulation, so I played it straight, it was going to break left early, and it was left edge with about five feet left, five feet to go.
Stand with your right foot slightly in front of your left. That helps you shift your weight to your left leg and into your left hip, that will help to offset your right-side bias.
If, in instructing a child, you are vexed with it for want of adroitness, try, if you have never tried before, to write with your left hand, and then remember that a child is all left hand.
I now know how Abbot felt when Costello left, how Brinkley felt when Huntley left, how Sears felt when Roebuck left, and, of course, how Dan Rather felt when Connie left. (at Robert MacNeil's retirement dinner)
It's President Obama who says the far left’s arguments don't 'stand the test of fact and scrutiny,' it's President Obama who says the far left is just ‘making stuff up.’ And it’s President Obama who warns the far left about 'ignoring realities.'.
Images & Illustrations of LEFT
Translations for LEFT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شمال, إلى الشمال, یسار, إلى اليسار, على اليسار, يسار, على الشمالArabic
- һул, һулдағы, һул яҡ, һулғаBashkir
- злева, налева, ле́выBelarusian
- отляво, левица, ляв, останал, налявоBulgarian
- esquerra, esquerreCatalan, Valencian
- zbývající, na levé, vlevo, levice, levýCzech
- лѣвъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- übrig, Linke, nach links, link, linksGerman
- αριστερά, αριστερόςGreek
- liva, maldekstra, restaĵoEsperanto
- izquierda, liberal, sobras, izquierdo, a la izquierda, de izquierda, sobradoSpanish
- vasak, pahemEstonian
- چپگرا, چپ, در سمت چپ, اشکلكPersian
- jäljelle, [[vasen]] [[puoli]], vasen, vasemmistolainen, vasemmalla, jäljellä, vasemmalle, vasemmistoFinnish
- i mawī, mawiFijian
- gauche, à gaucheFrench
- ceàrr, clìScottish Gaelic
- שְׂמֹאל, שמאלהHebrew
- बायें, बाक़ी, बायांHindi
- bal, hátralévő, balraHungarian
- մնացած, ձախ, ձախxArmenian
- sinistra, sinistro, a sinistra, rimastoItalian
- 残る, 左, 左翼Japanese
- kering, kiwaJavanese
- 왼쪽, 왼Korean
- چهپ, ماوهKurdish
- lénksLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kreisi, pa kreisi, kreisā, kreissLatvian
- останат, налево, лев, на левата, левичарски, левица, лево, одлево, преостанатMacedonian
- xellug, fdalMaltese
- ဝဲ, ဘယ်Burmese
- linkerkant, linker-, links, overDutch
- til overs, igjen, venstresiden, venstreNorwegian
- nishtłʼajígoNavajo, Navaho
- namanjinik, namanjinikanOjibwe, Ojibwa
- pozostały, lewa, na lewo, lewy, w lewo, lewica, lewicowyPolish
- restar, deixado, [[à]] [[esquerda]], esquerdo, esquerda, de esquerda, liberal, esquerdista, sobrar, sestroPortuguese
- stâng, la stânga, stângă, rămasRomanian
- левый, налево, оставшийся, влево, ле́вый, остальной, слева, либера́льныйRussian
- levi, lijevi, ljevica, леви, preostali, на̏ле̄во, nȁlēvo, лијевиSerbo-Croatian
- na ľavé, ľаvý, vľavoSlovak
- levo, na levi, levi, levicaSlovene
- vänster, kvar, vänsternSwedish
- మిగిలిన, ఎడమTelugu
- hemaTonga (Tonga Islands)
- злі́ва, ліво́руч, лі́вий, налі́воUkrainian
- trái, ở bên tráiVietnamese
Get even more translations for LEFT »
Find a translation for the LEFT definition in other languages:
Select another language: