Definitions for LEFTlɛft
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word LEFT
location near or direction toward the left side; i.e. the side to the north when a person or object faces east
"she stood on the left"
left, left wing(noun)
those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare
left, left hand(noun)
the hand that is on the left side of the body
"jab with your left"
left field, leftfield, left(noun)
the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left
"the batter flied out to left"
a turn toward the side of the body that is on the north when the person is facing east
"take a left at the corner"
being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north
"my left hand"; "left center field"; "the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream"
leftover, left over(p), left(p), odd, remaining, unexpended(adj)
not used up
"leftover meatloaf"; "she had a little money left over so she went to a movie"; "some odd dollars left"; "saved the remaining sandwiches for supper"; "unexpended provisions"
intended for the left hand
"I rarely lose a left-hand glove"
of or belonging to the political or intellectual left
toward or on the left; also used figuratively
"he looked right and left"; "the political party has moved left"
of or pertaining to that side of the body in man on which the muscular action of the limbs is usually weaker than on the other side; -- opposed to right, when used in reference to a part of the body; as, the left hand, or arm; the left ear. Also said of the corresponding side of the lower animals
that part of surrounding space toward which the left side of one's body is turned; as, the house is on the left when you face North
those members of a legislative assembly (as in France) who are in the opposition; the advanced republicans and extreme radicals. They have their seats at the left-hand side of the presiding officer. See Center, and Right
Origin: [OE. left, lift, luft; akin to Fries. leeft, OD. lucht, luft; cf. AS. left (equiv. to L. inanis), lyftdl palsy; or cf. AS. lf weak.]
Left is the second and final album by the band Hope of the States, released on June 19, 2006. It was released on CD, DualDisc CD/DVD, and as a limited edition double 10" vinyl. The album was preceded by two singles, the limited edition "Blood Meridian EP" and "Sing It Out", which reached #39 in the singles charts. The album itself reached #50 on the UK album charts on its initial release. The album was described as slightly more accessible and guitar-oriented than were the tracks on Hope of the States's debut, The Lost Riots. There followed a further single, the title track Left, which charted at #63 in August 2006, shortly before the band announced their split.
When an animal, human or object is naturally facing forward it is located or situated to the direction east.
When the GPS system said turn left, I knew intuitively it was to the direction east as my left hand is on the east side of my body.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #251
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Written Corpus Frequency: #341
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Nouns Frequency: #1258
Rank popularity for the word 'LEFT' in Adjectives Frequency: #130
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I left on my own.
Which Nisman am I left with?
I left my wings in the trees.
All of them have already left.
Just turn left at Greenland...
Images & Illustrations of LEFT
Translations for LEFT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شمال, إلى الشمال, یسار, إلى اليسار, على اليسار, يسار, على الشمالArabic
- һул, һулдағы, һул яҡ, һулғаBashkir
- злева, налева, ле́выBelarusian
- отляво, левица, ляв, останал, налявоBulgarian
- esquerra, esquerreCatalan, Valencian
- zbývající, na levé, vlevo, levice, levýCzech
- лѣвъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- übrig, Linke, nach links, link, linksGerman
- αριστερά, αριστερόςGreek
- liva, maldekstra, restaĵoEsperanto
- izquierda, liberal, sobras, izquierdo, a la izquierda, de izquierda, sobradoSpanish
- vasak, pahemEstonian
- چپگرا, چپ, در سمت چپ, اشکلكPersian
- jäljelle, [[vasen]] [[puoli]], vasen, vasemmistolainen, vasemmalla, jäljellä, vasemmalle, vasemmistoFinnish
- i mawī, mawiFijian
- gauche, à gaucheFrench
- ceàrr, clìScottish Gaelic
- שְׂמֹאל, שמאלהHebrew
- बायें, बाक़ी, बायांHindi
- bal, hátralévő, balraHungarian
- մնացած, ձախ, ձախxArmenian
- sinistra, sinistro, a sinistra, rimastoItalian
- 残る, 左, 左翼Japanese
- kering, kiwaJavanese
- 왼쪽, 왼Korean
- چهپ, ماوهKurdish
- lénksLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kreisi, pa kreisi, kreisā, kreissLatvian
- останат, налево, лев, на левата, левичарски, левица, лево, одлево, преостанатMacedonian
- xellug, fdalMaltese
- ဝဲ, ဘယ်Burmese
- linkerkant, linker-, links, overDutch
- til overs, igjen, venstresiden, venstreNorwegian
- nishtłʼajígoNavajo, Navaho
- namanjinik, namanjinikanOjibwe, Ojibwa
- pozostały, lewa, na lewo, lewy, w lewo, lewica, lewicowyPolish
- restar, deixado, [[à]] [[esquerda]], esquerdo, esquerda, de esquerda, liberal, esquerdista, sobrar, sestroPortuguese
- stâng, la stânga, stângă, rămasRomanian
- левый, налево, оставшийся, влево, ле́вый, остальной, слева, либера́льныйRussian
- levi, lijevi, ljevica, леви, preostali, на̏ле̄во, nȁlēvo, лијевиSerbo-Croatian
- na ľavé, ľаvý, vľavoSlovak
- levo, na levi, levi, levicaSlovene
- vänster, kvar, vänsternSwedish
- మిగిలిన, ఎడమTelugu
- hemaTonga (Tonga Islands)
- злі́ва, ліво́руч, лі́вий, налі́воUkrainian
- trái, ở bên tráiVietnamese
Get even more translations for LEFT »
Find a translation for the LEFT definition in other languages:
Select another language: