Definitions for Junctionˈdʒʌŋk ʃən
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
an act of joining or the state of being joined.
a place or point where two or more things meet, converge, or are joined.
a place or station where railroad lines meet, cross, or diverge.
an intersection of roads.
something that joins other things together.
* Syn: junction , juncture refer to a place, line, or point at which two or more things join. A junction is also a place where things come together: the junction of two rivers. A juncture is a line or point at which two bodies are joined, or a point of exigency or crisis in time: the juncture of the head and neck; a critical juncture in a struggle.
Origin of junction:
1705–15; < L junctiō=jung(ere) to join+-tiō-tion
the place where two or more things come together
junction, conjunction, conjugation, colligation(noun)
the state of being joined together
articulation, join, joint, juncture, junction(noun)
the shape or manner in which things come together and a connection is made
something that joins or connects
an act of joining or adjoining things
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a place where two or more things cross, meet, or join, especially roads or paths
a sign near the junction of Highway 136 and Route 96; the junction of the river and the stream
The act of joining, or the state of being joined.
A place where two things meet, especially where two roads meet.
The boundary between two physically different materials, especially between conductors, semiconductors, or metals
The place where a distributary departs from the main stream.
Origin: From iunctio, from iungo.
the act of joining, or the state of being joined; union; combination; coalition; as, the junction of two armies or detachments; the junction of paths
the place or point of union, meeting, or junction; specifically, the place where two or more lines of railway meet or cross
Translations for Junction
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a place at which things (eg railway lines) join
a railway junction; There was an accident at the junction of Park Road and School Lane.
- verbinding, vereniging, saamvloeiing, sameloop, ineenvloeiing (riviere), aansluitingAfrikaans
- مُفْتَرَق طُرُق، مُلْتَقى طُرُقArabic
- ж.п. възелBulgarian
- junçãoPortuguese (BR)
- der Knotenpunkt, die KreuzungGerman
- knudepunkt; vejkrydsDanish
- συμβολή, κόμβοςGreek
- ühenduskoht, (raudtee)sõlmEstonian
- محل تقاطعFarsi
- צֹמֶת ,צוֹמֶתHebrew
- raccordo, incrocioItalian
- 합류점, 교차점Korean
- susikirtimas, sandūra, mazgasLithuanian
- dzelzceļa mezgls; (ceļu) krustojumsLatvian
- veikryss; (jernbane)knutepunktNorwegian
- węzeł, skrzyżowaniePolish
- محل تقاطعPersian
- ديوځاى كيدوځاى، دوصل كيدوځاى، هغه ځاى چه هلته دوه يا ډيردموټرياريل سړكونه يوځاى كيږىPashto
- узел; перекрёстокRussian
- knutpunkt, järnvägs-, vägkorsningSwedish
- ชุมทาง; ทางแยกThai
- 平交道，十字路口Chinese (Trad.)
- залізничний вузол; вузлова станціяUkrainian
- دو یا زیادہ اشیا کا نقطئہ اتصالUrdu
- chỗ giao nhauVietnamese
- 交叉点，汇合处Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Junction »