used especially of what is legally or ethically right or proper or fitting
"a just and lasting peace"- A.Lincoln; "a kind and just man"; "a just reward"; "his just inheritance"
fair to all parties as dictated by reason and conscience
"equitable treatment of all citizens"; "an equitable distribution of gifts among the children"
free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception; conforming with established standards or rules
"a fair referee"; "fair deal"; "on a fair footing"; "a fair fight"; "by fair means or foul"
good, just, upright(adverb)
of moral excellence
"a genuinely good person"; "a just cause"; "an upright and respectable man"
merely, simply, just, only, but(adverb)
and nothing more
"I was merely asking"; "it is simply a matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child"; "hopes that last but a moment"
precisely, exactly, just(adverb)
indicating exactness or preciseness
"he was doing precisely (or exactly) what she had told him to do"; "it was just as he said--the jewel was gone"; "it has just enough salt"
just, just now(adverb)
only a moment ago
"he has just arrived"; "the sun just now came out"
"I just can't take it anymore"; "he was just grand as Romeo"; "it's simply beautiful!"
barely, hardly, just, scarcely, scarce(adverb)
only a very short time before
"they could barely hear the speaker"; "we hardly knew them"; "just missed being hit"; "had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"; "would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"- W.B.Yeats
exactly at this moment or the moment described
"we've just finished painting the walls, so don't touch them";
conforming or conformable to rectitude or justice; not doing wrong to any; violating no right or obligation; upright; righteous; honest; true; -- said both of persons and things
not transgressing the requirement of truth and propriety; conformed to the truth of things, to reason, or to a proper standard; exact; normal; reasonable; regular; due; as, a just statement; a just inference
rendering or disposed to render to each one his due; equitable; fair; impartial; as, just judge
precisely; exactly; -- in place, time, or degree; neither more nor less than is stated
closely; nearly; almost
barely; merely; scarcely; only; by a very small space or time; as, he just missed the train; just too late
Origin: [See Joust.]
"Just" is a single by English alternative rock band Radiohead, released in 1995. It is the seventh track on their 1995 album The Bends. Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke wrote the song about a narcissistic friend of his, which on closer inspection is showcased by the imagery in the lyrics - a parallel to earlier My Iron Lung EP track "Lewis [Mistreated]". He also says that it was something of a competition between him and Jonny Greenwood to see who could fit the most chords into a song. "Just" is especially notable for Greenwood's guitar solo. In the UK, this single was available as two CDs: the first one featured different tracks, and the colour of the album art on the second single was inverted. In 2007, NME placed "Just" at number 34 in its list of the 50 Greatest Indie Anthems Ever. In 2008 it entered the Radiohead: The Best Of collection.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
just, n. a tilt. Same as Joust.
just, adv. lawful: upright: exact: regular: true: righteous.—adv. precisely, almost exactly, very lately, (coll.) quite, barely.—adv. Just′ly, in a just manner: equitably: uprightly: accurately: by right.—n. Just′ness, equity: propriety: exactness. [Fr.,—L. justus—jus, law.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'JUST' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #94
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'JUST' in Written Corpus Frequency: #48
Rank popularity for the word 'JUST' in Adverbs Frequency: #7
Rank popularity for the word 'JUST' in Adjectives Frequency: #633
The numerical value of JUST in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of JUST in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Don't just Hurry, don't just Haste. Don't just Worry, don't just Waste. Life is a Treasure, Enjoy the Pleasure.
Don't just Hurry, don't just Haste. Don't just Worry, don't just Waste. Life is a Treasure, Enjoy the Pleasure.- RVM
Just as the soul fills the body, so God fills the world. Just as the soul bears the body, so God endures the world. Just as the soul sees but is not seen, so God sees but is not seen.
Just when you think that a person is just a backdrop for the rest of the universe, watch them and see that they laugh, they cry, they tell jokes ... they're just friends waiting to be made.
It's not just training. It's not just unreasonable fear. It's not just the warrior mentality. It's not just court decisions that almost encourage the use of it. It is not just race, it is all of that.
Images & Illustrations of JUST
Translations for JUST
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فقط, عَدْلArabic
- әле генә, яңы, яңы ғына, дөрөҫ, ғәҙелBashkir
- només, just, sols, acabar de, simplementCatalan, Valencian
- těsně, přesně, spravedlivý, pouze, správný, právěCzech
- einfach, berechtigt, nur, gerade, gerechtGerman
- μόλις, δίκαιος, απλώς, μόνοGreek
- ĝuste, ĵus, justa, nurEsperanto
- justo, acabar de, sóloSpanish
- عادل, دادگر, دادگریPersian
- äskettäin, vain, just, vasta, täsmälleen, oikea, juuri ja juuri, oikeudenmukainen, juuri, reilu, vastikään, juuri äsken, tarkalleen, tuskin, äskenFinnish
- simplement, juste, venir deFrench
- [[go]] [[díreach]]Irish
- cothromach, air èiginnScottish Gaelic
- éppen, csakHungarian
- նոր, ուղղակի, արդարArmenian
- appena, giusto, soloItalian
- ばかり, ジャスト, に過ぎない, ところ, 只, 丁度, ただ, 公正Japanese
- gerechtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- tikko, tik tikko, gandrīz, tieši, tikaiLatvian
- праведен, баш, само, штотуку, тукушто, исправен, токмуMacedonian
- baru, hanya, بارو, cuma, چوما, هاڽMalay
- gewoon, billijk, net, juist, rechtmatig, correct, nog net, gerechtig, enkel, pas, zojuist, slechts, onlangs, op een haar na, precies, eerlijk, rechtvaardigDutch
- kun, nettopp, bareNorwegian
- tʼóóNavajo, Navaho
- właśnie, tylko, po prostu, dokładnie, sprawiedliwy, dokładnyPolish
- somente, recém, simplesmente, por pouco, justo, apenas, só, acabar de, bem, recentementePortuguese
- întocmai, doar, numai, tocmaiRomanian
- и́менно, правильный, всего́ лишь, то́лько что, то́лько, то́чно, справедливый, как ра́з, едва́, лишь, про́стоRussian
- tijesno, maloprije, upravo, tek, само, sasvim, samo, skoro, zamalo, baš, potpunoSerbo-Croatian
- zgòlj, rávnokar, lè, pràvkar, samó, skôrajSlovene
- precis, nyss, just, rättvis, baraSwedish
- adil, adaletliTurkish
Get even more translations for JUST »
Find a translation for the JUST definition in other languages:
Select another language: