Definitions for Industryˈɪn də stri
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Industry
the people or companies engaged in a particular kind of commercial enterprise
"each industry has its own trade publications"
the organized action of making of goods and services for sale
"American industry is making increased use of computers to control production"
diligence, industriousness, industry(noun)
persevering determination to perform a task
"his diligence won him quick promotions"; "frugality and industry are still regarded as virtues"
The tendency to work persistently.
Over the years, their industry and business sense made them wealthy.
Businesses of the same type, considered as a whole.
Businesses that produce goods as opposed to services.
There used to be a lot of industry around here, but now the economy depends on tourism.
The sector of the economy consisting of large-scale enterprises
Automated production of material goods.
habitual diligence in any employment or pursuit, either bodily or mental; steady attention to business; assiduity; -- opposed to sloth and idleness; as, industry pays debts, while idleness or despair will increase them
any department or branch of art, occupation, or business; especially, one which employs much labor and capital and is a distinct branch of trade; as, the sugar industry; the iron industry; the cotton industry
human exertion of any kind employed for the creation of value, and regarded by some as a species of capital or wealth; labor
Industry is the production of an economic good or service within an economy. Manufacturing industry became a key sector of production and labour in European and North American countries during the Industrial Revolution, upsetting previous mercantile and feudal economies. This occurred through many successive rapid advances in technology, such as the production of steel and coal. Following the Industrial Revolution, perhaps a third of the world's economic output is derived from manufacturing industries. Many developed countries and many developing/semi-developed countries depend significantly on industry. Industries, the countries they reside in, and the economies of those countries are interlinked in a complex web of interdependence.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often named after its principle product, as "the automobile industry", "the steel industry". It includes the ownership and management of companies, factories, industrial plants, etc. (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Industry' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #446
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Industry' in Written Corpus Frequency: #991
Rank popularity for the word 'Industry' in Nouns Frequency: #129
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of Industry
Translations for Industry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- егәрлелек, сәнәғәт, тырышлыҡ, эшсәнлекBashkir
- інду́стрыя, прамысло́васцьBelarusian
- проми́шленост, инду́стрияBulgarian
- přičinlivost, pracovitost, branže, píle, průmyslCzech
- Industrie, Branche, BestrebenGerman
- βιομηχανία, εργατικότηταGreek
- tööstus, majandusharu, valdkondEstonian
- teollisuus, ala, toimiala, ahkeruus, teollisuudenalaFinnish
- tionscal, tábhachtIrish
- ketekunan, industriIndonesian
- 産業, 業界Japanese
- өнеркәсіп, индустрияKazakh
- ឧស្សាហៈ, ឧស្សាហកម្មKhmer
- 근면, 공업, 產業, 工業, 산업, 성실Korean
- индустрия, өнөр жайKyrgyz
- pramonė, industrija, darbštumasLithuanian
- strādīgums, industrija, rūpniecībaLatvian
- трудољубивост, индустрија, дејностMacedonian
- аж үйлдвэрMongolian
- ကုန်ထုတ်လုပ်ငန်း, စက်မှုလက်မှုBurmese
- sector, werklust, nijverheid, industrieDutch
- industriNorwegian Nynorsk
- industriosidade, indústriaPortuguese
- industrie, branșă industrialăRomanian
- усе́рдие, индустрия, приле́жность, промышленность, про́мысел, прилежа́ние, о́трасль, стара́тельность, трудолю́биеRussian
- industrija, индустријаSerbo-Croatian
- උද්යෝගයSinhala, Sinhalese
- industri, gren, branschSwedish
- senagat, industriýaTurkmen
- інду́стрія, промисло́вістьUkrainian
- industriya, sanoatUzbek
- công nghiệp, 工業Vietnamese
Get even more translations for Industry »
Find a translation for the Industry definition in other languages:
Select another language: