Definitions for Hollowˈhɒl oʊ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Hollow
a cavity or space in something
"hunger had caused the hollows in their cheeks"
a small valley between mountains
"he built himself a cabin in a hollow high up in the Appalachians"
a depression hollowed out of solid matter
not solid; having a space or gap or cavity
"a hollow wall"; "a hollow tree"; "hollow cheeks"; "his face became gaunter and more hollow with each year"
as if echoing in a hollow space
"the hollow sound of footsteps in the empty ballroom"
empty, hollow, vacuous(verb)
devoid of significance or point
"empty promises"; "a hollow victory"; "vacuous comments"
excavate, dig, hollow(verb)
remove the inner part or the core of
"the mining company wants to excavate the hillside"
hollow, hollow out, core out(verb)
remove the interior of
"hollow out a tree trunk"
having an empty space or cavity, natural or artificial, within a solid substance; not solid; excavated in the interior; as, a hollow tree; a hollow sphere
depressed; concave; gaunt; sunken
reverberated from a cavity, or resembling such a sound; deep; muffled; as, a hollow roar
not sincere or faithful; false; deceitful; not sound; as, a hollow heart; a hollow friend
a cavity, natural or artificial; an unfilled space within anything; a hole, a cavern; an excavation; as the hollow of the hand or of a tree
a low spot surrounded by elevations; a depressed part of a surface; a concavity; a channel
to make hollow, as by digging, cutting, or engraving; to excavate
wholly; completely; utterly; -- chiefly after the verb to beat, and often with all; as, this story beats the other all hollow. See All, adv
to shout; to hollo
to urge or call by shouting
Origin: [See Hollo.]
Used to describe a vital or natural space within the body of an animal, human or mammal.
The human body has has many hollow spaces which include the nasal cavity, sinus, diaphragm etc.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The promise of inclusion is completely hollow.
Its a shame a hollow promise doesn't ring hollow
A lot of these apps, it turns out, are kind of hollow.
Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
We cannot allow ourselves any hollow structures given the actual security situation.
Images & Illustrations of Hollow
Translations for Hollow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dutý, dutina, prohlubeň, bezobsažný, prázdnota, nesmyslný, prázdnýCzech
- hul, dybDanish
- hohl, HöhleGerman
- ψεύτικος, βαθούλωμα, κούφιος, υπόκωφος, κενόGreek
- sordo, hondonada, hueco, resonante, hundido, depresión, falso, ahuecado, vacíoSpanish
- کاواک, پوک, توخالیPersian
- insignifiant, creux, videFrench
- sloc, falamhScottish Gaelic
- cavo, cavità, incavoItalian
- 空虚, むなしい, 虚ろ, くぼむ, 虚脱感, 中空, 空洞, 窪地, こもる, 空っぽ, 不誠実Japanese
- cavus, inanis, vacuusLatin
- huelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- duobė, dauba, tuščiaviduris, tuščias, įdubaLithuanian
- dobums, tukšsLatvian
- hull, innhul, hol, hul, grop, dypNorwegian
- laagte, hol, leegDutch
- grop, hol, djup, innholNorwegian Nynorsk
- pusty, nizina, głuchy, niecka, pustkaPolish
- vazio, oco, depressão, vãoPortuguese
- полый, пустота, бессодержательный, выемка, яма, пустой, выбоина, впадина, низина, глухой, углублениеRussian
- ihålig, grop, tomSwedish
- డొల్ల, శుష్క, బోలుTelugu
Get even more translations for Hollow »
Find a translation for the Hollow definition in other languages:
Select another language: