Definitions for Heathenˈhi ðən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Heathen
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
hea•then*ˈhi ðən(n.; adj.)(pl.)-thens, -then
(n.)an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible or Koran; pagan.
an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
(adj.)of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.
irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.
* Syn: heathen , pagan are both applied to peoples who are not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim; these terms may also refer to irreligious peoples. heathen is often used of those whose religion is unfamiliar and therefore regarded as primitive, unenlightened, or uncivilized: heathen idols; heathen rites. pagan is most frequently used of the ancient Greeks and Romans who worshiped many deities: a pagan civilization.
Origin of heathen:
bef. 900; ME hethen, OE hǣthen, c. OS hēthin, OHG heidan, ON heithinn, Go haithno (fem. n.); prob. akin to heath
heathen, pagan, gentile, infidel(adj)
a person who does not acknowledge your god
heathen, heathenish, pagan, ethnic(adj)
not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam
A person who does not follow an Abrahamic religion; a pagan.
An uncultured or uncivilized person, philistine.
Self-designation of some adherents of neo-paganism.
not adhering to an Abrahamic religion; pagan.
uncultured; uncivilized; savage, philistine.
pertaining to currents of Germanic neo-paganism known as Heathenry.
Origin: Germanic: from hǣþen, akin to heath on the moor, the poor, 'wild' countryside; cognate with Dutch heiden, German Heide.
an individual of the pagan or unbelieving nations, or those which worship idols and do not acknowledge the true God; a pagan; an idolater
an irreligious person
gentile; pagan; as, a heathen author
barbarous; unenlightened; heathenish
Heathen is the 22nd studio album by English rock musician David Bowie, released in 2002. It was considered a comeback for him in the US market; it was his highest charting album since Tonight, and earned some of his strongest reviews since Scary Monsters. Worldwide, it sold over two million copies and experienced a four-month run on the UK charts. Although its production had started before September 11 attacks in 2001, the album was finished after that date, which ended up influencing its concept.
Translations for Heathen
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(of) a person who believes in a less advanced form of religion, especially one with many gods
Missionaries tried to convert the heathens to Christianity.
- heiden, ongelowigeAfrikaans
- وَثَني، عابِد الأوثانArabic
- pagãoPortuguese (BR)
- pohan, -ka; pohanskýCzech
- der Heide/die HeidinGerman
- hedning; hedenskDanish
- païen, ïenneFrench
- עוֹבֵד אֱלִילִיםHebrew
- poganin, neznabožacCroatian
- heiðingi; heiðinnIcelandic
- 다신교(多神敎) 신자Korean
- pagonis; pagoniškasLithuanian
- orang paganMalay
- hedning; hedenskNorwegian
- poganin, pogańskiPolish
- كافر ، بې دينهPashto
- язычник; языческийRussian
- pohan, -kaSlovak
- 異教徒Chinese (Trad.)
- کافر، بے دینUrdu
- người ngoại đạoVietnamese
- 异教徒Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Heathen »
Find a translation for the Heathen definition in other languages:
Select another language: