Definitions for HOGhɔg, hɒg
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word HOG
a person regarded as greedy and pig-like
hog, hogget, hogg(noun)
a sheep up to the age of one year; one yet to be sheared
hog, pig, grunter, squealer, Sus scrofa(verb)
take greedily; take more than one's share
Any animal belonging to the Suidae family of mammals, especially the pig, the wart hog, and the boar.
A greedy person; one who refuses to share.
A large motorcycle, particularly a Harley-Davidson.
To greedily take more than one's share, to take precedence at the expense of another or others.
To clip the mane of a horse, making it short and bristly.
To cause the keel of a ship to arch upwards (the opposite of sag).
a quadruped of the genus Sus, and allied genera of Suidae; esp., the domesticated varieties of S. scrofa, kept for their fat and meat, called, respectively, lard and pork; swine; porker; specifically, a castrated boar; a barrow
a mean, filthy, or gluttonous fellow
a young sheep that has not been shorn
a rough, flat scrubbing broom for scrubbing a ship's bottom under water
a device for mixing and stirring the pulp of which paper is made
to cut short like bristles; as, to hog the mane of a horse
to scrub with a hog, or scrubbing broom
to become bent upward in the middle, like a hog's back; -- said of a ship broken or strained so as to have this form
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Favored term to describe programs or hardware that seem to eat far more than their share of a system's resources, esp. those which noticeably degrade interactive response. Not used of programs that are simply extremely large or complex or that are merely painfully slow themselves. More often than not encountered in qualified forms, e.g., memory hog, core hog, hog the processor, hog the disk. “A controller that never gives up the I/O bus gets killed after the bus-hog timer expires.” 2. Also said of people who use more than their fair share of resources (particularly disk, where it seems that 10% of the people use 90% of the disk, no matter how big the disk is or how many people use it). Of course, once disk hogs fill up one filesystem, they typically find some other new one to infect, claiming to the sysadmin that they have an important new project to complete.
Translations for HOG
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- suid, tacany, marràCatalan, Valencian
- svině, vepřCzech
- Schwein, Sau, raffen, sich selbstsüchtig aneignen, Vielfraß, Hausschwein, in Beschlag nehhmenGerman
- puerco, rácano, racanearSpanish
- sika, rohmuta, kitupiikki, ahnehtia, harrikkaFinnish
- sertés, disznóHungarian
- moge, babiIndonesian
- ブタ, 豚Japanese
- schrokken, voor zichzelf opeisen, varkenDutch
- bisóodiNavajo, Navaho
- wieprz, świniaPolish
- скряга, вепрь, прибирать к рукам, заграбастать, коротко подстригать, прибрать к рукам, мощный мотоцикл, боров, свинья, жадина, заграбастыватьRussian
- svinja, свињаSerbo-Croatian
- svindjur, roffa åt sig, hojSwedish
Get even more translations for HOG »
Find a translation for the HOG definition in other languages:
Select another language: