Definitions for GRIDgrɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word GRID
a pattern of regularly spaced horizontal and vertical lines
power system, power grid, grid(noun)
a system of high tension cables by which electrical power is distributed throughout a region
grid, storage-battery grid(noun)
a perforated or corrugated metal plate used in a storage battery as a conductor and support for the active material
grid, control grid(noun)
an electrode placed between the cathode and anode of a vacuum tube to control the flow of electrons through the tube
a cooking utensil of parallel metal bars; used to grill fish or meat
(Electronics) a mesh or coil of fine wire in an electron tube, connected to the circuit so as to regulate the current passing through the tube.
any network of crossing horizontal and vertical lines; -- they are used, for example, as reference coordinates to locate objects or places on a map.
anything resembling a grid, as the Manhattan street grid. See also gridlock.
a network of connected conductors for distributing electrical power, especially one using high-tension lines for wide geographic distribution of power; as, the Northeast power grid.
(Football) the gridiron.
A rectangular array of squares or rectangles of equal size, such as in a crossword puzzle.
A system for delivery of electricity, consisting of various substations, transformers and generators, connected by wire.
You can't turn off the building from here; you have to shut down the whole grid. uE000100771uE001 line from the motion picture Die Hard
A system or structure of distributed computers working mostly on a peer-to-peer basis, such structures being known as a computational grid or simply grid computing, and used mainly to solve single and complex scientific or technical problems or to process data at high speeds (as in clusters).
A method of marking off maps into areas.
To mark with a grid.
To assign a reference grid to.
Origin: From a shortening of griddle or gridiron
a grating of thin parallel bars, similar to a gridiron
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
A lead plate perforated or ridged for use in a storage battery as the supporter of the active materials and in part as contributing thereto from its own substance.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. Two sets of parallel lines intersecting at right angles and forming squares; the grid is superimposed on maps, charts, and other similar representations of the Earth
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'GRID' in Nouns Frequency: #2552
The numerical value of GRID in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of GRID in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Even though the wall is gone, the lighting grid is still there.
The generator is highly competitive in places where there is no grid.
I'm confident I'll be on the grid. It's just the concern is can we be competitive ? .
I had the best start of the whole grid in the last race, we have been working on that issue.
National Grid doesn't want to deal with thousands of small DSR providers, that's where we come in.
Images & Illustrations of GRID
Translations for GRID
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- kragnetwerk, ruit, ruitenetAfrikaans
- شبكة حاسوبية, شبكة, شبكة احداثيات, شبكة كهرباءArabic
- електрическа мрежа, растер, мрежа, електропреносна мрежаBulgarian
- quadrículaCatalan, Valencian
- rozvodná síť elektrické energie, mřížkaCzech
- red, cuadrícula, cuadricular, matrizSpanish
- verkko, sähköverkko, koordinaatisto, ruuduttaa, ruudukkoFinnish
- grille, réseauFrench
- eangach léarscáileIrish
- cliathScottish Gaelic
- जाली, विद्युत ग्रिड, झर्झर, अभिकलनात्मक ग्रिडHindi
- inferriata, griglia, reticolo, reticolato, rete, rete elettrica, grataItalian
- 格子, グリッドJapanese
- elektriciteitsnet, raster, coördinatienet, coördinatiestelsel, netwerk, netDutch
- sieć, siatka, plansza, kratkaPolish
- quadriculado, grade, grid, [[rede]] [[elétrica]], matriz, quadricularPortuguese
- сетка, сеть, решётка, электросетьRussian
- elektromreža, mreža, мрежа, електромрежаSerbo-Croatian
- galler, elnät, rutnät, nät, gitter, gradnätSwedish
Get even more translations for GRID »
Find a translation for the GRID definition in other languages:
Select another language: