format, formatting, data format, data formatting(noun)
the organization of information according to preset specifications (usually for computer processing)
the general appearance of a publication
set (printed matter) into a specific format
"Format this letter so it can be printed out"
determine the arrangement of (data) for storage and display (in computer science)
format, initialize, initialise(verb)
divide (a disk) into marked sectors so that it may store data
"Please format this disk before entering data!"
(Print.) the arrangement of the parts of a printed page, such as text and graphics; as, text flowing around an illustration provides a more pleasing format; multiple columns are a more common format for large pages.
Hence, The general organization, form, or plan for anything, such as an organized social, political, or entertainment event.
to set into a specific format; -- of printed matter or data recorded on a data soorage medium.
The layout of a document.
The form of presentation of something.
The radio station changed the format of its evening program.
A file type.
To create or edit the layout of a document.
Change a document so it will fit onto a different type of page.
To prepare a mass storage medium for initial use, erasing any existing data in the process.
I lost weeks of work when I inadvertently formatted my hard drive.
Origin: Via and , from liber formatus, from formo.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
for′ma, n. of books, &c., the size, form, shape in which they are issued. [Fr.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. In photography, the size and/or shape of a negative or of the print therefrom. 2. In cartography, the shape and size of a map or chart.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Format' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4478
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Format' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3836
Rank popularity for the word 'Format' in Nouns Frequency: #1558
The numerical value of Format in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of Format in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
When flimsy cyber defense fails, Format Preserving Encryption prevails
They could easily open in the range of 500 to 600 smaller format stores across the country.
There could be an Indian championship, a Malaysian championship and they will be self-contained but with the same format.
Clearly fans who were clamoring for this change have responded to the new format, fans have voted with their remote controls.
It's been a great week, match play is a format that I've always enjoyed. I feel it's a format that I do well in and I excel in.
Images & Illustrations of Format
Translations for Format
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- формат, форматирамBulgarian
- naformátovat, formát, formátovatCzech
- formatieren, Format, StrukturGerman
- formato, formatearSpanish
- formatoida, muotoilla, alustaa, muotoiluFinnish
- forsníða, snið, lögun, form, forsnið, strauja, formattaIcelandic
- フォーマット, 形式, 書式, 初期化Japanese
- hōputu, takotoMāori
- ontwerpen, aanpassen, lay-out, bestandstype, formaat, bestandsformaat, format, formatteren, vorm, lay-outenDutch
- ਢਾਂਚਾ, ਖਾਕਾPanjabi, Punjabi
- układ, formatPolish
- formato, formatarPortuguese
- формат, структура, форматироватьRussian
- filformat, formatera, formatSwedish
- định dạng, thiết kế, dạng thức, kiểuVietnamese
Get even more translations for Format »
Find a translation for the Format definition in other languages:
Select another language: