Definitions for FLOPflɒp
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word FLOP
floating-point operation, flop(noun)
an arithmetic operation performed on floating-point numbers
"this computer can perform a million flops per second"
flop, dud, washout(noun)
someone who is unsuccessful
flop, bust, fizzle(noun)
a complete failure
"the play was a dismal flop"
the act of throwing yourself down
"he landed on the bed with a great flop"
"He flopped into a chair"
fall suddenly and abruptly
fall through, fall flat, founder, flop(adverb)
fail utterly; collapse
"The project foundered"
with a flopping sound
"he tumbled flop into the mud"
"he fell flop on his face"
to clap or strike, as a bird its wings, a fish its tail, etc.; to flap
to turn suddenly, as something broad and flat
to strike about with something broad abd flat, as a fish with its tail, or a bird with its wings; to rise and fall; as, the brim of a hat flops
to fall, sink, or throw one's self, heavily, clumsily, and unexpectedly on the ground
act of flopping
Origin: [A variant of flap.]
Flop was an early-1990s pop punk band from Seattle, Washington. The band formed in 1990, released recordings on the Frontier and Sony 550 record labels, and made a brief appearance in Doug Pray's motion picture documentary Hype!.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This is not a flip flop, this is consistent with the position he held earlier in the campaign.
The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of non-violence has been the organization of violence.
Abe's speech sparked speculation that he won't be sitting idly to let the economy flop. Investors thought there will be a rebooting of Abenomics.
I think he can get past it assuming he can write it off as poor articulation of the views, if it is actually viewed as a flip-flop, then it becomes an issue.
We normally have no electricity. We skip experiments in electrical physics and switchboard designs. Our test marks flop, and are inferior to students in city schools that have better power supplies.
Images & Illustrations of FLOP
Translations for FLOP
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- провал, просвам сеBulgarian
- zhroutit, propadnoutCzech
- versagen, plumpsen, Misserfolg, Flop, hinplumpsenGerman
- fracasar, desplomarseSpanish
- flopata, lysähtää, romahtaa, läjä, läsähtää, floppi, lyyhistyäFinnish
- faire un four, fiasco, four, faire un flop, être un fiasco, faire un bide, s'effondrer, flop, bideFrench
- sacco di letame, fallire, fallimento, fare fiasco, crollare, sacco di merda, insuccesso, mancare il traguardo, fare un buco nell'acqua, fiascoItalian
- drol, afgaan, sof, fiasco, neerzijgen, inzakken, neerploffen, afgang, instorten, floppen, sisser, mislukking, neervallenDutch
- niewypał, klapaPolish
- провалиться, плюхаться, неудача, провал, потерпеть неудачу, плюхнуться, фиаскоRussian
- flopp, fiaskoSwedish
Get even more translations for FLOP »
Find a translation for the FLOP definition in other languages:
Select another language: