Definitions for FAMOUSˈfeɪ məs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word FAMOUS
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
having a widespread reputation; renowned; celebrated.
* Syn: famous , celebrated , renowned , notorious refer to someone or something widely known. famous is the general word for a person or thing that receives wide public notice, usu. favorable: a famous lighthouse. celebrated refers to a famous person or thing that enjoys wide public praise or honor for merit, services, etc.: a celebrated poet. renowned usu. implies wider, greater, and more enduring fame and glory: a renowned hospital. notorious means widely known and discussed because of some bad or evil quality or action: a notorious criminal.
Origin of famous:
1350–1400; ME < AF < L fāmōsus. See fame , -ous
celebrated, famed, far-famed, famous, illustrious, notable, noted, renowned(adj)
widely known and esteemed
"a famous actor"; "a celebrated musician"; "a famed scientist"; "an illustrious judge"; "a notable historian"; "a renowned painter"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
recognized by many people
a famous actor/painting; a region famous for its wines; the player who famously quit the New York Yankees
In the public eye.
Some people are only famous within their city.
Origin: From famous, from fameus (French: fameux).
celebrated in fame or public report; renowned; mach talked of; distinguished in story; -- used in either a good or a bad sense, chiefly the former; often followed by for; as, famous for erudition, for eloquence, for military skill; a famous pirate
Famous is the third studio album from U.S. alternative rock band Puddle of Mudd. It was released on October 9, 2007 on Flawless Records. Famous was originally set to be released in May, but was pushed back to add more songs to the album. The album was also announced by the band to be titled Livin' on Borrowed Time, but that was changed to Famous after the name of the first single. The title track provided the album's lead single on May 21, 2007. "Psycho" would follow as the second single on November 2. Famous debuted at number 27 on the U.S. Billboard 200, selling about 31,000 copies in its first week. The album has sold around 363,000 copies in the US.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'FAMOUS' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1584
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'FAMOUS' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2436
Rank popularity for the word 'FAMOUS' in Adjectives Frequency: #194
Translations for FAMOUS
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
well-known (for good or worthy reasons)
She is famous for her strength.
- beroemd, bekendAfrikaans
- مَشْهور، شَهيرArabic
- famosoPortuguese (BR)
- slavan, poznat, glasovitCroatian
- slavens; ievērojamsLatvian
- مشهور، نامتو، نوميالىPashto
- berömd, ryktbarSwedish
- 出名的Chinese (Trad.)
- славетний, відомийUkrainian
- nổi tiếng/ nổi danh vì cái gìVietnamese
- 出名的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for FAMOUS »
Find a translation for the FAMOUS definition in other languages:
Select another language: