Definitions for Editorˈɛd ɪ tər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Editor
editor, editor in chief(noun)
a person responsible for the editorial aspects of publication; the person who determines the final content of a text (especially of a newspaper or magazine)
editor program, editor(noun)
(computer science) a program designed to perform such editorial functions as rearrangement or modification or deletion of data
A person who edits or makes changes to documents.
A copy editor.
A person who edited a specific document.
A person at a newspaper or similar institution who edits stories and decides which ones to publish.
A machine used for editing (cutting and splicing) movie film
A program for creating and making changes to files, especially text files.
Someone who manipulates video footage and assembles it into the correct order etc for broadcast; a picture editor.
Origin: From editionem ( editio) ‘a bringing forth, producing’, from perfect passive participle editus, from stem of verb edere, ‘bring forth, produce’, from ex-, ‘out’ + -dere, combining form of dare, ‘to give’; + noun of agent suffix -or.
one who edits; esp., a person who prepares, superintends, revises, and corrects a book, magazine, or newspaper, etc., for publication
Origin: [L., that which produces, from edere to publish: cf. F. diteur.]
An editor in the professional or traditional sense is generally an individual who makes corrective changes, or edits, in the content or format of a creative work. Such works may deal with the literary arts, musical composition, film, radio programs, or other forms intended for publication or public presentation. The job of a professional editor can range from revising a particular work, such as the text of a book or magazine article, to supervising the publication and distribution of such a work, such as a newspaper or other printed and published materials. Editors are most often identified as those who work to prepare book manuscripts and newspapers for publication.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A person employed on a newspaper, whose business it is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and to see that the chaff is printed. 2. A delicate instrument for observing the development and flowering of the deadly mediocre and encouraging its growth. 3. A seraphic embryon; a smooth bore; a bit of sandpaper applied to all forms of originality by the publisher-proprietor; an emictory.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Editor' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2582
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Editor' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4682
Rank popularity for the word 'Editor' in Nouns Frequency: #972
The numerical value of Editor in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of Editor in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Julian is an editor and a publisher.
Anyone nit-picking enough to write a letter of correction to an editor doubtless deserves the error that provoked it.
He types his labored column -- weary drudge! Senile fudge and solemn: spare, editor, to condemn these dry leaves of his autumn.
Editor a person employed by a newspaper, whose business it is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and to see that the chaff is printed.
Editor: a person employed on a newspaper whose business it is to seperate the wheat from the chaff, and to see that the chaff is printed.
Images & Illustrations of Editor
Translations for Editor
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- střihač, redaktor, editorCzech
- Redakteur, Redakteurin, Editor, TexteditorGerman
- συντάκτης, επιμελητήςGreek
- redaktoro, redaktistoEsperanto
- director, montador, directora, montadora, redactora, redactor, editorSpanish
- تدوینگر, ویرایشگر, ویراستارPersian
- toimittaja, muokkaaja, päätoimittaja, editori, editorFinnish
- monteur, éditeur, monteuse, rédacteurFrench
- deasaiche, neach-deasachaidhScottish Gaelic
- ritill, textaritillIcelandic
- redattore, giuntatrice, editorItalian
- 편집인, 편자Korean
- editor, penyunting, pengeditMalay
- krantenredacteur, editor, redacteur, tekstverwerkerDutch
- editor, redaktørNorwegian
- edytor, edytor tekstu, montażystka, redaktor, montażystaPolish
- editor, jornalista, editoraPortuguese
- editor, monteuză, editor de textRomanian
- texteditor, redaktör, redigerareSwedish
Get even more translations for Editor »
Find a translation for the Editor definition in other languages:
Select another language: