documentary, docudrama, documentary film, infotainment(adj)
a film or TV program presenting the facts about a person or event
relating to or consisting of or derived from documents
emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation
A film, TV program, publication etc. which presents a social, political, scientific or historical subject in a factual or informative manner.
of, related to, or based on documents.
which serves to document (record and:or illustrate) a subject.
presented objectively without the insertion of fictional matter.
Origin: From adjective and (hence) noun documentaire, from document, from documentum.
pertaining to written evidence; contained or certified in writing
Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record. A 'documentary film' was originally shot on film stock—the only medium available—but now includes video and digital productions that can be either direct-to-video, made as a television program or released for screening in cinemas. "Documentary" has been described as a "filmmaking practice, a cinematic tradition, and mode of audience reception" that is continually evolving and is without clear boundaries.
The numerical value of DOCUMENTARY in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of DOCUMENTARY in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Whenever I watch a documentary about the space, I find the news in the world very funny and dull!
Of course Moana, being a visual account of events in the daily life of a Polynesian youth and his family, has documentary value.
It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.
If you want to tell the untold stories, if you want to give voice to the voiceless, you've got to find a language. Which goes for film as well as prose, for documentary as well as autobiography. Use the wrong language, and you're dumb and blind.
The concern is that the airing of the documentary will result in a media trial -- that will essentially leave the judiciary with no option but to uphold the death penalty, my main problem, how can we screen this documentary when there's an appeals process underway?
Images & Illustrations of DOCUMENTARY
Translations for DOCUMENTARY
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فيلم وثائقي, وثائقيArabic
- sənədli filmAzerbaijani
- дакумента́льны фільм, дакумента́льныBelarusian
- документа́лен, документа́лен филмBulgarian
- documentalCatalan, Valencian
- dokumentární film, dokumentCzech
- Dokumentarfilm, DokumentationGerman
- documental, documentarioSpanish
- dokumentaalfilm, tõsielufilmEstonian
- مستند, فیلم مستندPersian
- dokumentti, dokumentaarinen, dokumentaari, dokumenttielokuvaFinnish
- תיעודי, צִלוּמֵי תְעוּדָהHebrew
- վավերագրական կինոնկար, վավերագրականArmenian
- film dokumenterIndonesian
- heimilda-, heimildamyndIcelandic
- დოკუმენტური ფილმიGeorgian
- dokumentinis kinasLithuanian
- dokumentālā filmaLatvian
- pakipūmeka, motuhengaMāori
- документарен филмMacedonian
- баримтат киноMongolian
- documentaire, documentairDutch
- film dokumentalnyPolish
- documental, documentárioPortuguese
- документа́льный, документа́льный фильмRussian
- документарни филм, dokumentarni filmSerbo-Croatian
- dokumentárny filmSlovak
- dokumentarni filmSlovene
- dokumentärfilm, dokumentärSwedish
- документа́льний фільм, документа́льнийUkrainian
- phim tài liệuVietnamese
Get even more translations for DOCUMENTARY »
Find a translation for the DOCUMENTARY definition in other languages:
Select another language: