Definitions for Customˈkʌs təm
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Custom
custom, usage, usance(noun)
accepted or habitual practice
a specific practice of long standing
customs, customs duty, custom, impost(noun)
money collected under a tariff
"I have given this tailor my custom for many years"
made according to the specifications of an individual
Frequent repetition of the same behavior; way of behavior common to many; ordinary manner; habitual practice; usage; method of doing, living or behaving.
Habitual buying of goods; practice of frequenting, as a shop, manufactory, etc., for making purchases or giving orders; business support.
Long-established practice, considered as unwritten law, and resting for authority on long consent; usage. See Usage, and Prescription.
Familiar acquaintance; familiarity.
The customary toll, tax, or tribute.
created under particular specifications, specialized, unique, custom-made
To make familiar; to accustom.
To supply with customers.
To pay the customs of.
To have a custom.
made in a different way from usual, specially to fit one's needs
My feet are as big as powerboats, so I need custom shoes.
frequent repetition of the same act; way of acting common to many; ordinary manner; habitual practice; usage; method of doing or living
habitual buying of goods; practice of frequenting, as a shop, manufactory, etc., for making purchases or giving orders; business support
long-established practice, considered as unwritten law, and resting for authority on long consent; usage. See Usage, and Prescription
familiar aquaintance; familiarity
to make familiar; to accustom
to supply with customers
to have a custom
the customary toll, tax, or tribute
duties or tolls imposed by law on commodities, imported or exported
to pay the customs of
Origin: [OF. coustume, F. coutume, tax, i. e., the usual tax. See 1st Custom.]
Custom in law is the established pattern of behavior that can be objectively verified within a particular social setting. A claim can be carried out in defense of "what has always been done and accepted by law." Related is the idea of prescription; a right enjoyed through long custom rather than positive law. Customary law exists where: ⁕a certain legal practice is observed and ⁕the relevant actors consider it to be law. Most customary laws deal with standards of community that have been long-established in a given locale. However the term can also apply to areas of international law where certain standards have been nearly universal in their acceptance as correct bases of action - in example, laws against piracy or slavery. In many, though not all instances, customary laws will have supportive court rulings and case law that has evolved over time to give additional weight to their rule as law and also to demonstrate the trajectory of evolution in the interpretation of such law by relevant courts.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'Custom' in Nouns Frequency: #1181
Images & Illustrations of Custom
Translations for Custom
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- на́вик, мито, оби́чай, приви́чка, обичайBulgarian
- costumCatalan, Valencian
- clo, zvyk, obyčejCzech
- sædvane, skikDanish
- Brauch, Sitte, Gewohnheit, Zoll, UsusGerman
- a medida, encargo, a órden, al pedido, con especificaciones, costumbre, personalizado, especializado, habituación, únicoSpanish
- komme, harjumus, tavaEstonian
- عادت, رسمPersian
- käytäntö, tapaFinnish
- coutume, us, droit de douane, connaissanceFrench
- nós, gnás, béas, cleachtadhIrish
- cleachdadhScottish Gaelic
- נוהג, מִנְהָגHebrew
- szokás, vámHungarian
- սովորություն, սովորույթArmenian
- 風俗, 習慣Japanese
- ғұрып, әдет, әдет-ғұрып, салтKazakh
- ទំនៀម, ទំនៀមទំលាប់Khmer
- 습관, 習慣, 풍속, 風俗Korean
- адат, урп-адат, салтKyrgyz
- ກະບິນ, ຈາລີດLao
- paradums, paražaLatvian
- katimauhe, ritengaMāori
- обичај, давачка, навика, царина, адетMacedonian
- ёс, заншилMongolian
- kebiasaan, adat, kelaziman, langgananMalay
- ထုံးစံ, ဓလေ့Burmese
- bruk, skikkNorwegian
- heffing, klandizie, tol, gewoonte, accijns, bekendheid, gebruiken, aangepast, gebruik, manierenDutch
- personalizado, costume, hábitoPortuguese
- adüs, deisa, disaRomansh
- obișnuință, obicei, vamă, acciză, tradițieRomanian
- тради́ция, по́шлина, обы́чай, сбор, привы́чкаRussian
- обичај, običajSerbo-Croatian
- zvyk, obyčajSlovak
- sedvänja, sed, vanaSwedish
- desturi, forodhaSwahili
- расм, одат, урфу одатTajik
- urp-adat, dessur, adatTurkmen
- adet, görenekTurkish
- رەسىمUyghur, Uighur
- обича́й, звича́йUkrainian
- 習慣, phong tục, 風俗, tục lệ, tập quán, 俗例Vietnamese
- dujhance, uzance, uzaedjeWalloon
Get even more translations for Custom »
Find a translation for the Custom definition in other languages:
Select another language: