Definitions for Consensuskənˈsɛn səs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Consensus
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
collective judgment or belief; solidarity of opinion:
The consensus of the group was that they should meet twice a month.
general agreement or concord; harmony.
* Usage: The expression consensus of opinion is sometimes criticized as being redundant on the basis that consensus alone conveys the meaning. Although the redundancy argument is weakened if consensus is taken in its earlier and valid sense of “general agreement or concord,” the criticism against this phrase has been so persistent that consensus of opinion occurs only infrequently in edited formal writing. The phrase general consensus is also objected to as redundant.
Origin of consensus:
1850–55; < L, =consent(īre) to be in agreement, harmony (con-con - +sentīre to feel; cf. sense ) +-tus suffix of v. action
agreement in the judgment or opinion reached by a group as a whole
"the lack of consensus reflected differences in theoretical positions"; "those rights and obligations are based on an unstated consensus"
A process of decision-making that seeks widespread agreement among group members.
General agreement among the members of a given group or community, each of which exercises some discretion in decision-making and follow-up action.
Average projected value, as in the finance term consensus forecast.
Origin: From consensus, from consentio; see consent.
agreement; accord; consent
U.S. National Library of Medicine
General agreement or collective opinion; the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Word rank popularity for 'Consensus' among Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4806
Word rank popularity for 'Consensus' among Nouns Frequency: #1998
Translations for Consensus
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the feeling of most people
The consensus of opinion is that we should do this.
- ooreenstemming; konsensusAfrikaans
- إجْماع في الرّأيArabic
- consensoPortuguese (BR)
- almindelig enighed; almindelig opfattelseDanish
- اتفاق نظر؛ عقیده اکثریت مردمFarsi
- הַסכָּמָה כְּלָלִיתHebrew
- मतैक्य, अनुकूलताHindi
- suglasnost, jednodušnostCroatian
- közvélemény; általános megegyezésHungarian
- bendras sutarimasLithuanian
- vienprātība; saskaņaLatvian
- alminnelig enighet, gjengs oppfatningNorwegian
- اتفاق نظر؛ عقیده اکثریت مردمPersian
- دنظريو موافقه، دمختلفو اړخونو او خواووسره لګېدنه او سېدنهPashto
- allmän mening, samstämmighet, konsensusSwedish
- fikir birliği, uyuşmaTurkish
- 輿論Chinese (Trad.)
- одностайність, консенсусUkrainian
- موافقت، اتفاق راۓUrdu
- sự đồng lòngVietnamese
- 舆论Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Consensus »
Find a translation for the Consensus definition in other languages:
Select another language: