a warning against certain acts
"a caveat against unfair practices"
(law) a formal notice filed with a court or officer to suspend a proceeding until filer is given a hearing
"a caveat filed against the probate of a will"
a qualification or exception
He gave his daughter some hyacinth bulbs with the caveat that she plant them in the shade.
a notice requesting a postponement of a court proceeding
a formal notice of interest in land, under a Torrens land-title system
To qualify a particular statement with a proviso or caveat
To lodge a formal notice of interest in land, under a Torrens land-title system
To issue a notice requesting that proceedings be suspended
To warn or caution against some event
Origin: From the verb form caveat, from caveo.
a notice given by an interested party to some officer not to do a certain act until the party is heard in opposition; as, a caveat entered in a probate court to stop the proving of a will or the taking out of letters of administration, etc
a description of some invention, designed to be patented, lodged in the patent office before the patent right is applied for, and operating as a bar to the issue of letters patent to any other person, respecting the same invention
intimation of caution; warning; protest
Origin: [L. caved let him beware, pres. subj. of cavere to be on one's guard to, beware.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kā′ve-at, n. a notice or warning: a formal warning, entered in the books of a court or public office, that no step shall be taken in a particular matter without notice to the person lodging the caveat, so that he may appear and object. [L., 'let him take care'—cavēre, to take care.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
A designator used with a classification to further limit the dissemination of restricted information.
The numerical value of Caveat in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of Caveat in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Images & Illustrations of Caveat
Translations for Caveat
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- upozornění, varováníCzech
- Vorbehalt, Einspruch, Warnung, Widerspruch, Ausnahme, PatentanmeldungGerman
- condición, reserva, aviso, advertenciaSpanish
- figyelmeztetés, óvás, intésHungarian
- avviso, avvertimentoItalian
- uitzondering, waarschuwing, voorbehoudDutch
- qualificação, isenção, notificação, avisoPortuguese
- пояснение, разъяснение, толкование, предупреждение, предостережение, [[ходатайство]] [[о]] [[приостановка, предуведомление, уточнениеRussian
- varning, brasklapp, förbehållSwedish
- ikaz, kısıtlama, askı başvurusu, şerh, uyarı, kayıtTurkish
Get even more translations for Caveat »
Find a translation for the Caveat definition in other languages:
Select another language: