Definitions for COMPAREkəmˈpɛər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word COMPARE
comparison, compare, equivalence, comparability(verb)
qualities that are comparable
"no comparison between the two books"; "beyond compare"
examine and note the similarities or differences of
"John compared his haircut to his friend's"; "We compared notes after we had both seen the movie"
"This car does not compare with our line of Mercedes"
compare, liken, equate(verb)
consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous
"We can compare the Han dynasty to the Romans"; "You cannot equate success in financial matters with greed"
to form the comparative or superlative form on an adjective or adverb
To assess the similarities and differences between two or more things ["to compare X with Y"]. Having made the comparison of X with Y, one might have found it similar to Y or different from Y.
To declare two things to be similar in some respect ["to compare X to Y"].
Astronomers have compared comets to dirty snowballs
To form the three degrees of comparison of (an adjective).
We compare good as good, better, best
To be similar (often used in the negative).
A sapling and a fully-grown oak tree do not compare.
to examine the character or qualities of, as of two or more persons or things, for the purpose of discovering their resemblances or differences; to bring into comparison; to regard with discriminating attention
to represent as similar, for the purpose of illustration; to liken
to inflect according to the degrees of comparison; to state positive, comparative, and superlative forms of; as, most adjectives of one syllable are compared by affixing "- er" and "-est" to the positive form; as, black, blacker, blackest; those of more than one syllable are usually compared by prefixing "more" and "most", or "less" and "least", to the positive; as, beautiful, more beautiful, most beautiful
to be like or equal; to admit, or be worthy of, comparison; as, his later work does not compare with his earlier
to vie; to assume a likeness or equality
illustration by comparison; simile
to get; to procure; to obtain; to acquire
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'COMPARE' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3991
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'COMPARE' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3096
Rank popularity for the word 'COMPARE' in Verbs Frequency: #174
Translations for COMPARE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- параўно́ўваць, параўна́цьBelarusian
- спрягам, сравня́вам, сравнявам се, сравня́Bulgarian
- stupňovat, srovnávat, být, porovnat, porovnávat, srovnat, srovnatelnýCzech
- bøje, sammenligne, stemme overensDanish
- übereinstimmen, vergleichen, steigernGerman
- مقایسه کردنPersian
- verrata, vertaillaFinnish
- coimeas, dèan coimeas airScottish Gaelic
- 比較, 比べるJapanese
- 비교하다, 비유하다Korean
- сра́внува, спо́реди, споредува, споре́дуваMacedonian
- vergelijken, overeenstemmenDutch
- stopniować, porównywać, porównaćPolish
- сра́вниваться, сравни́ть, сра́внивать, сравни́тьсяRussian
- упоредити, porediti, uporediti, поредитиSerbo-Croatian
- porovnať, porovnávaťSlovak
- primerjati, primeritiSlovene
- komparera, jämföraSwedish
- муқиёс кардан, муқоиса карданTajik
- порі́внювати, порівня́тиUkrainian
- so sánhVietnamese
Get even more translations for COMPARE »
Find a translation for the COMPARE definition in other languages:
Select another language: