Definitions for Burdenˈbɜr dn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Burden
burden, load, encumbrance, incumbrance, onus(noun)
an onerous or difficult concern
"the burden of responsibility"; "that's a load off my mind"
load, loading, burden(noun)
weight to be borne or conveyed
effect, essence, burden, core, gist(noun)
the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
the central idea that is expanded in a document or discourse
burden, burthen, weight, weight down(verb)
weight down with a load
charge, saddle, burden(verb)
impose a task upon, assign a responsibility to
"He charged her with cleaning up all the files over the weekend"
A heavy load.
A responsibility, onus.
A cause of worry.
A phrase or theme that recurs at the end of each verse in a folk song or ballad; the drone of a bagpipe.
Theme, core idea.
To encumber with a burden (in any of the noun senses of the word).
that which is borne or carried; a load
that which is borne with labor or difficulty; that which is grievous, wearisome, or oppressive
the capacity of a vessel, or the weight of cargo that she will carry; as, a ship of a hundred tons burden
the tops or heads of stream-work which lie over the stream of tin
the proportion of ore and flux to fuel, in the charge of a blast furnace
a fixed quantity of certain commodities; as, a burden of gad steel, 120 pounds
to encumber with weight (literal or figurative); to lay a heavy load upon; to load
to oppress with anything grievous or trying; to overload; as, to burden a nation with taxes
to impose, as a load or burden; to lay or place as a burden (something heavy or objectionable)
the verse repeated in a song, or the return of the theme at the end of each stanza; the chorus; refrain. Hence: That which is often repeated or which is dwelt upon; the main topic; as, the burden of a prayer
the drone of a bagpipe
Burden is a city in Cowley County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 535.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Burden' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3693
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Burden' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4603
Rank popularity for the word 'Burden' in Nouns Frequency: #1388
Images & Illustrations of Burden
Translations for Burden
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عبء, حملArabic
- товар, бреме, обременявам, натоварвамBulgarian
- carga, càrregaCatalan, Valencian
- náklad, zatížení, zátěž, břemeno, bříměCzech
- byrde, læs, belastning, lastDanish
- Bürde, Last, Belastung, Verantwortung, Kummer, Sorge, belasten, beladen, aufbürden, beschwerenGerman
- carga, responsabilidad, preocupación, gravarSpanish
- kuorma, vastuu, taakka, kuormataFinnish
- burður, byrða, byrðiFaroese
- charge, fardeauFrench
- byrði, burðurIcelandic
- preoccupazione, carico, fardello, responsabilità, onere, gravare, appioppare, rifilareItalian
- 心配事, 負担, 積み荷Japanese
- 짐, 바리Korean
- bar, berpirsiyarîKurdish
- wahanga, whakawahaMāori
- last, bezwarenDutch
- byrde, belastning, ansvarNorwegian
- fardo, responsabilidade, obrigação, preocupação, cargaPortuguese
- бремя, тяжесть, нагрузка, ноша, груз, обуза, отяготить, обременять, обременить, отягощатьRussian
- brȅme, бре̏меSerbo-Croatian
- plikt, börda, belastning, belastaSwedish
- dinadalang mabigatTagalog
- yükümlülük, sorumluluk, yük, zahmetTurkish
Get even more translations for Burden »
Find a translation for the Burden definition in other languages:
Select another language: