Definitions for Bulgebʌldʒ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Bulge
bulge, bump, hump, swelling, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence(verb)
something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
"the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"
bulge, pouch, protrude(verb)
swell or protrude outwards
"His stomach bulged after the huge meal"
bulge out; form a bulge outward, or be so full as to appear to bulge
start, protrude, pop, pop out, bulge, bulge out, bug out, come out(verb)
"His eyes popped"
cause to bulge or swell outwards
Something sticking out from a surface.
To stick out from (a surface).
Origin: From Latin bulga "leather bag". Cognates includes bilge, belly, bellows, budget, French bouge, German Balg, etc.
the bilge or protuberant part of a cask
a swelling, protuberant part; a bending outward, esp. when caused by pressure; as, a bulge in a wall
the bilge of a vessel. See Bilge, 2
to swell or jut out; to bend outward, as a wall when it yields to pressure; to be protuberant; as, the wall bulges
to bilge, as a ship; to founder
In astronomy, a bulge is a tightly packed group of stars within a larger formation. The term almost exclusively refers to the central group of stars found in most spiral galaxies. Bulges were historically thought to be elliptical galaxies that happen to have a disk of stars around them, but high resolution images using the Hubble Space Telescope have revealed that many bulges have properties that are more like spiral galaxies. It is now thought that there are at least two types of bulges, bulges that are like ellipticals and bulges that are like spiral galaxies.
Images & Illustrations of Bulge
Translations for Bulge
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изпъквам, издувам се, издатина, изпъкналостBulgarian
- boule, výstupek, výčnělekCzech
- Delle, Wölbung, hervorstechen, Ausbuchtung, Beule, hervortretenGerman
- bulto, abultar, abultamiento, protuberanciaSpanish
- pullistuma, kohouma, pullistua, pullistella, pullottaaFinnish
- bosse, déformer, protubérance, bombement, bomberFrench
- dudor, kitüremkedés, kitüremkedik, kidudorodikHungarian
- protuberanza, rigonfiamento, sporgenza, sporgereItalian
- 出っ張り, 膨れる, 突き出るJapanese
- 부루퉁이, 뾰루지, 불거지다, 혹, 부르다Korean
- protuberantia, prominereLatin
- bojo, protuberância, saliênciaPortuguese
- выступ, выпирать, выдаваться, выпячиваться, оттопыриваться, выпуклостьRussian
- gufim, gufohemAlbanian
- knöl, utbuktning, bulaSwedish
Get even more translations for Bulge »
Find a translation for the Bulge definition in other languages:
Select another language: