Definitions for BYbaɪ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word BY
so as to pass a given point
"every hour a train goes past"
aside, by, away(adverb)
in reserve; not for immediate use
"started setting aside money to buy a car"; "put something by for her old age"; "has a nest egg tucked away for a rainy day"
Along a path which runs by the speaker.
I watched as it passed by.
In the vicinity, near.
To or at a place, as a residence or place of business.
The women spent much time after harvest putting jams by for winter and spring.
Out of the way, subsidiary.
Near or next to.
The mailbox is by the bus stop.
At some time before (the given time), or before the end of a given time interval.
Through the action or presence of.
Existing through the authorship etc of.
There are many well-known plays by William Shakespeare
Through the action of, caused by, responsibility for; by dint of.
Involving/using the means of.
I avoided the guards by moving only when they weren't looking.
Using the rules or logic of.
I sorted the items by category.
With a change of.
Our stock is up by ten percent.
He cheated by his own admission.
With the authority of.
in the neighborhood of; near or next to; not far from; close to; along with; as, come and sit by me
on; along; in traversing. Compare 5
near to, while passing; hence, from one to the other side of; past; as, to go by a church
used in specifying adjacent dimensions; as, a cabin twenty feet by forty
with, as means, way, process, etc.; through means of; with aid of; through; through the act or agency of; as, a city is destroyed by fire; profit is made by commerce; to take by force
near; in the neighborhood; present; as, there was no person by at the time
passing near; going past; past; beyond; as, the procession has gone by; a bird flew by
aside; as, to lay by; to put by
out of the common path; aside; -- used in composition, giving the meaning of something aside, secondary, or incidental, or collateral matter, a thing private or avoiding notice; as, by-line, by-place, by-play, by-street. It was formerly more freely used in composition than it is now; as, by-business, by-concernment, by-design, by-interest, etc
.by is the Internet country code top-level domain for Belarus. It is administered by The Operative-analytical center of the Republic of Belarus. The code "BY" originates from "Byelorussia", which is transcription of Russian name for the country. It was officially used during their inclusion in the Soviet Union. The ccTLD was created for Belarus on May 10, 1994.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BY' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #18
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BY' in Written Corpus Frequency: #100
Rank popularity for the word 'BY' in Adverbs Frequency: #239
Translations for BY
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بجانب, بِ, في, بواسطة, لِ, عندArabic
- za, do, prostřednictvím, pomocí, o, u, podle, po, odCzech
- efter, ved, af, omkring, ved at, forbi, medDanish
- mit, indem, bei, bis, nach, längs, von, mittels, um, durchGerman
- per, de, apud, farEsperanto
- por, paraSpanish
- mukaisesti, ohi, vieressä, mukaan, kautta, mennessäFinnish
- de, par, avant, moyen, enFrench
- trochWestern Frisian
- seachad, leScottish Gaelic
- לפי, על ידיHebrew
- तक, सेHindi
- մոտ, կողքինArmenian
- kena, sebelah, olehIndonesian
- per, apud, daIdo
- eftir, við, fyrirIcelandic
- entro, con, per, da, del, accanto, vicinoItalian
- により, 作, 側, で, 従う, に, 沿う, によって, 著, までJapanese
- 까지, 에Korean
- tê re, heta, bi, li rex, ji alî, bi destê, li, ta, di ber re, li nêzîKurdish
- a, cata, apud, aput, abLatin
- до, кајMacedonian
- mengikut, oleh, menjelang, dengan, di sepanjang, demi, di sebelah, perMalay
- door, op, bij, per, tegen, vanwege, langs, metDutch
- ved, med, innen, etter, for, avNorwegian
- po, obok, przez, na, według, za, do, o, przyPolish
- por, em, até, de, [[por]] [[mim]], perto, próximo, [[por]] [[nós]], a, próximo dePortuguese
- de, cu, lângăRomanian
- во, с, к, за, до, по, у, на, имя, около, помощь, рядомRussian
- od, po, za, pri, s, z, doSlovene
- av, med, intill, längs, vid, efter, längs med, genom attSwedish
- ข้าง, โดย, เคียง, ติดกับThai
- تك, سےUrdu
- cạnh, vào, theo như, trước, bằng cách, theo, bởi, bên cạnh, kề, theo cách, tuân theo, bên, của, từng, gần, quaVietnamese
Get even more translations for BY »
Find a translation for the BY definition in other languages:
Select another language: