Definitions for BIDbɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word BID
command, bid, bidding, dictation(noun)
an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
an attempt to get something
"they made a futile play for power"; "he made a bid to gain attention"
a formal proposal to buy at a specified price
(bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
offer, bid, tender(verb)
propose a payment
"The Swiss dealer offered $2 million for the painting"
"wish you a nice evening"; "bid farewell"
bid, beseech, entreat, adjure, press, conjure(verb)
ask for or request earnestly
"The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
"He called his trump"
make a serious effort to attain something
"His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population"
ask someone in a friendly way to do something
to make an offer of; to propose. Specifically : To offer to pay ( a certain price, as for a thing put up at auction), or to take (a certain price, as for work to be done under a contract)
to offer in words; to declare, as a wish, a greeting, a threat, or defiance, etc.; as, to bid one welcome; to bid good morning, farewell, etc
to proclaim; to declare publicly; to make known
to order; to direct; to enjoin; to command
to invite; to call in; to request to come
imp. & p. p. of Bid
an offer of a price, especially at auctions; a statement of a sum which one will give for something to be received, or will take for something to be done or furnished; that which is offered
to make a bid; to state what one will pay or take
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BID' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3305
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BID' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2783
Rank popularity for the word 'BID' in Nouns Frequency: #1198
Rank popularity for the word 'BID' in Verbs Frequency: #881
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We are not surprised to see these sectors catch a bid.
I will stop after the 2015 World Cup to focus on the bid with Tony.
Senegal has decided on Monday November 16 to launch the bid for the 4G licence.
A severely oversold and shorted oil market is creating a bid for covering in U.S. crude.
There was a lot of water to go under the bridge before that( bid) was going to be successful.
Translations for BID
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عرض, عطاءArabic
- моля, каня, анонсирам, оферта, заповядвам, предлагам ценаBulgarian
- Gebot, melden, bieten, reizenGerman
- دو زن داریPersian
- käskeä, tehdä tarjous, pyytää, tarjota, toivottaa, kutsua, tarjousFinnish
- faire une enchère, soumissionner, enchèreFrench
- elrendel, megparancsol, meghívHungarian
- հայտ, [[գնի]] [[առաջարկ]]Armenian
- offerta, fare un'offerta per un'astaItalian
- 入札, [[値]][[を]][[つける]], 付け値Japanese
- gelasten, bieden, uitnodigen, bod, gebieden, biddenDutch
- budNorwegian Nynorsk
- licitação, ordenar, mandarPortuguese
- приглаша́ть, предлагаемая цена, пригласи́ть, заявка, приказа́ть, [[предложи́ть]] [[цена, прика́зывать, [[предлага́ть]] [[цена, ставкаRussian
- bud, bjuda in, bjudaSwedish
- наказа́ти, нака́зуватиUkrainian
- đặt giá, trả giáVietnamese
Get even more translations for BID »
Find a translation for the BID definition in other languages:
Select another language: