Definitions for Athleteˈæθ lit; æθˈlɛt ɪk; æθˈlɛt ɪks; ˈæθ əˌlit; ˌæθ əˈlɛt ɪk; ˌæθ əˈlɛt ɪks
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Athlete
a person trained to compete in sports
A participant in a group of sporting activities which includes track and field, road running, cross country running and racewalking.
A person who actively participates in physical sports, possibly highly skilled in sports. (Known in British English as a "sportsperson".)
An exceptionally physically fit person.
Origin: From ἀθλητής, from ἀθλέω, from ἆθλον or ἆθλος.
one who contended for a prize in the public games of ancient Greece or Rome
any one trained to contend in exercises requiring great physical agility and strength; one who has great activity and strength; a champion
one fitted for, or skilled in, intellectual contests; as, athletes of debate
A sportsperson, is a person trained to compete in a sport involving physical strength, speed or endurance. Sports people may be professional or amateur. Most professional sports people have particularly well-developed physiques obtained by extensive physical training and strict exercise accompanied by a strict dietary regimen. The word "athlete" is a romanization of the Greek: άθλητὴς, athlētēs, one who participates in a contest; from ἂθλος, áthlos, or ἂθλον, áthlon, a contest or feat. The term may be used as a synonym for sportspeople in general, but it also has stronger connotations of people who compete in athletic sports, as opposed to other sporting types such as horse riding and driving. In British English athlete can also have a more specific meaning of people who compete in the sport of athletics.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A dignified bunch of muscles, unable to split wood or sift the ashes.
Translations for Athlete
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رياضية, رياضيArabic
- спортист, лекоатлет, атлетBulgarian
- atletaCatalan, Valencian
- sportovec, atlet, atletkaCzech
- sportsudøver, atletDanish
- Sportler, Sportlerin, Athlet, AthletinGerman
- αθλητής, αθλήτριαGreek
- atleta, deportista, atleticaSpanish
- atleetti, yleisurheilijaFinnish
- sportif, sportive, athlèteFrench
- sportivo, sportiva, atletaItalian
- スポーツマン, 運動選手, 陸上選手, アスリートJapanese
- atlet, idrettsmann, sprekingNorwegian
- lekkoatleta, sportsmenka, sportowiec, lekkoatletkaPolish
- atlet, atletă, persoană atletică, atlete, atlețiRomanian
- легкоатлет, спортсмен, спортсменка, атлет, атлеткаRussian
- atlete, atletAlbanian
- friidrottare, atletSwedish
Get even more translations for Athlete »
Find a translation for the Athlete definition in other languages:
Select another language: