Definitions for Astronautˈæs trəˌnɔt, -ˌnɒt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Astronaut
astronaut, spaceman, cosmonaut(noun)
a person trained to travel in a spacecraft
"the Russians called their astronauts cosmonauts"
A member of the crew of a spaceship or other spacecraft that travels beyond Earth's atmosphere, or someone trained to serve that purpose
Origin: Coined from ἄστρον and ναύτης.
An astronaut or cosmonaut is a person trained by a human spaceflight program to command, pilot, or serve as a crew member of a spacecraft. While generally reserved for professional space travelers, the terms are sometimes applied to anyone who travels into space, including scientists, politicians, journalists, and tourists. Until 2002, astronauts were sponsored and trained exclusively by governments, either by the military, or by civilian space agencies. With the sub-orbital flight of the privately funded SpaceShipOne in 2004, a new category of astronaut was created: the commercial astronaut.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I cannot join the space program and restart my life as an astronaut, but this opportunity to connect my abilities as an educator with my interests in history and space is a unique opportunity to fulfill my early fantasies.
As an astronaut, I have a strong desire to fly with astronauts from other countries. I also look forward to going to the International Space Station, ...Space is a family affair, many countries are developing their space programs and China, as a big county, should make our own contributions in this field.
Images & Illustrations of Astronaut
Translations for Astronaut
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رجل فضاء, رائد فضاء, ملاح فضائيArabic
- касманаўт, астранаўтBelarusian
- astronautaCatalan, Valencian
- טייס חללHebrew
- अंतरिक्ष यात्रीHindi
- űrhajós, asztronautaHungarian
- 우주비행사, 宇宙飛行士Korean
- астронаут, космонаутMacedonian
- ruimtevaarder, astronautDutch
- wótáahgoo ałnaaʼáłtʼahiʼNavajo, Navaho
- kosmonauta, astronautka, astronauta, kosmonautkaPolish
- космонавт, астронавтRussian
- козмона̀ут, kozmonàut, kosmonàut, космона̀ут, астрона̀ут, astronàutSerbo-Croatian
- astronaut, kosmonautAlbanian
- космонавт, астронавтUkrainian
- phi hành gia, nhà du hành vũ trụVietnamese
Get even more translations for Astronaut »
Find a translation for the Astronaut definition in other languages:
Select another language: