application, practical application(noun)
the act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose
"he advocated the application of statistics to the problem"; "a novel application of electronics to medical diagnosis"
a verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school
"December 31 is the deadline for applications"
application, coating, covering(noun)
the work of applying something
"the doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"; "a complete bleach requires several applications"; "the surface was ready for a coating of paint";
application, application program, applications programme(noun)
a program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task
"he has tried several different word processing applications"
liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin
"a lotion for dry skin"
a diligent effort
"it is a job requiring serious application"
the action of putting something into operation
"the application of maximum thrust"; "massage has far-reaching medical applications"; "the application of indexes to tables of data"
The act of applying or laying on, in a literal sense; as, the application of emollients to a diseased limb.
The thing applied.
He invented a new application by which blood might be stanched. --Johnson.
The act of applying as a means; the employment of means to accomplish an end; specific use.
If a right course . . . be taken with children, there will not be much need of the application of the common rewards and punishments. --John Locke.
The act of directing or referring something to a particular case, to discover or illustrate agreement or disagreement, fitness, or correspondence.
A computer program or the set of software that the end user perceives as a single entity as a tool for a well-defined purpose. (Also called: application program; application software.)
The iPhone application VR+ connects to major social networks.
A verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school.
December 31 is the deadline for MBA applications.
A petition, entreaty, or other request.
Their application for a deferral of the hearing was granted.
Origin: Late applicacioun, from applicacion ( application), from applicationem, accusative singular of applicatio, from applico.
the act of applying or laying on, in a literal sense; as, the application of emollients to a diseased limb
the thing applied
the act of applying as a means; the employment of means to accomplish an end; specific use
the act of directing or referring something to a particular case, to discover or illustrate agreement or disagreement, fitness, or correspondence; as, I make the remark, and leave you to make the application; the application of a theory
hence, in specific uses: (a) That part of a sermon or discourse in which the principles before laid down and illustrated are applied to practical uses; the "moral" of a fable. (b) The use of the principles of one science for the purpose of enlarging or perfecting another; as, the application of algebra to geometry
the capacity of being practically applied or used; relevancy; as, a rule of general application
the act of fixing the mind or closely applying one's self; assiduous effort; close attention; as, to injure the health by application to study
the act of making request of soliciting; as, an application for an office; he made application to a court of chancery
a request; a document containing a request; as, his application was placed on file
Origin: [L. applicatio, fr. applicare: cf. F. application. See Apply.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The system or problem to which a computer is applied. Reference is often made to an application as being either of the computational type (arithmetic computations predominate) or of the data processing type (data handling operations predominate). 2. In the intelligence context, the direct extraction and tailoring of information from an existing foundation of intelligence and near real time reporting. It is focused on and meets specific, narrow requirements, normally on demand.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Application' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1012
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Application' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1231
Rank popularity for the word 'Application' in Nouns Frequency: #235
The numerical value of Application in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of Application in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Truth is the summit of being justice is the application of it to affairs.
There is no disagreement, just the deliberate application of differing analysis models.
The sign of an intelligent people is their ability to control emotions by the application of reason.
It may well be doubted whether human ingenuity can construct an enigma... which human ingenuity may not, by proper application, resolve.
The miracle, or the power, that elevates the few is to be found in their industry, application, and perseverance under the prompting of a brave, determined spirit.
Images & Illustrations of Application
Translations for Application
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- употреба, приложмост, заявление, приложение, молбаBulgarian
- Anwendung, AntragGerman
- εφαρμογή, αίτηση, χρήση, πρόγραμμαGreek
- solicitud, aplicaciónSpanish
- taotlus, rakendusEstonian
- sovellus, hakemus, menetelmä, soveltaminen, sivellä, käyttö, levittää, anomusFinnish
- application, demande, programme, candidatureFrench
- iarrtas, cleachdadhScottish Gaelic
- יישום, בקשה, תכנה, אפליקציהHebrew
- rávitel, kérvény, bevonás, alkalmazás, jelentkezésHungarian
- umsókn, forrit, tölvuforritIcelandic
- アプリケーション, 応募, 出願Japanese
- 응용, 애플리케이션Korean
- aanvraag, toepassing, aanschrijven, softwarepakket, aanbrengen, computerprogramma, applicatieDutch
- applikasjon, søknad, programNorwegian
- aplicação, aplicativo, candidatura, inscriçãoPortuguese
- aplicație, aplicare, aplicație computericăRomanian
- просьба, программа, прошение, приложение, заявление, применение, ходатайствоRussian
- applikation, programvaraSwedish
Get even more translations for Application »
Find a translation for the Application definition in other languages:
Select another language: