answer, reply, response(noun)
a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
"I waited several days for his answer"; "he wrote replies to several of his critics"
solution, answer, result, resolution, solvent(noun)
a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
"they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
the speech act of replying to a question
the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
a nonverbal reaction
"his answer to any problem was to get drunk"; "their answer was to sue me"
answer, reply, respond(verb)
"She didn't want to answer"; "answer the question"; "We answered that we would accept the invitation"
respond to a signal
"answer the door"; "answer the telephone"
give the correct answer or solution to
"answer a question"; "answer the riddle"
understand the meaning of
"The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
"The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
be liable or accountable
"She must answer for her actions"
suffice, do, answer, serve(verb)
be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
"A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
match or correspond
"The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
"This may answer her needs"
react to a stimulus or command
"The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"
to speak in defense against; to reply to in defense; as, to answer a charge; to answer an accusation
to speak or write in return to, as in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration, argument, or the like; to reply to (a question, remark, etc.); to respond to
to respond to satisfactorily; to meet successfully by way of explanation, argument, or justification, and the like; to refute
to be or act in return or response to
to be or act in compliance with, in fulfillment or satisfaction of, as an order, obligation, demand; as, he answered my claim upon him; the servant answered the bell
to render account to or for
to atone; to be punished for
to be opposite to; to face
to be or act an equivalent to, or as adequate or sufficient for; to serve for; to repay
to be or act in accommodation, conformity, relation, or proportion to; to correspond to; to suit
to speak or write by way of return (originally, to a charge), or in reply; to make response
to make a satisfactory response or return
to render account, or to be responsible; to be accountable; to make amends; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money intrusted to his care
to be or act in return
to be or act by way of compliance, fulfillment, reciprocation, or satisfaction; to serve the purpose; as, gypsum answers as a manure on some soils
to be opposite, or to act in opposition
to be or act as an equivalent, or as adequate or sufficient; as, a very few will answer
to be or act in conformity, or by way of accommodation, correspondence, relation, or proportion; to conform; to correspond; to suit; -- usually with to
a reply to a change; a defense
something said or written in reply to a question, a call, an argument, an address, or the like; a reply
something done in return for, or in consequence of, something else; a responsive action
a solution, the result of a mathematical operation; as, the answer to a problem
a counter-statement of facts in a course of pleadings; a confutation of what the other party has alleged; a responsive declaration by a witness in reply to a question. In Equity, it is the usual form of defense to the complainant's charges in his bill
Origin: [OE. andswerien, AS. andswerian, andswarian, to answer, fr. andswaru, n., answer. See Answer, n.]
The Answer is the name of two fictional comic book characters, owned by Marvel Comics and appearing in that company's Marvel Universe. Aaron Nicholson first appeared in Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #92. After his "death", S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, David Ferrari took the name of Answer in Captain America vol. 3 #42.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
an′sėr, v.t. to reply to: to satisfy or solve: to repay: to suit: to suffer the consequences of.—v.i. to reply: to reply favourably: to act in conformity with, as 'to answer the helm:' to be accountable for (with for): to correspond: to be advantageous to: to turn out well.—n. a reply: a solution.—adj. An′swerable, able to be answered: accountable: suitable: equivalent: proportional (with to).—adv. An′swerably.—n. An′swerer.—adv. An′swerless. [A.S. andswar-ian—andswaru; and-, against, swerian, to swear.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'ANSWER' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1217
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'ANSWER' in Written Corpus Frequency: #690
Rank popularity for the word 'ANSWER' in Nouns Frequency: #359
Rank popularity for the word 'ANSWER' in Verbs Frequency: #226
The numerical value of ANSWER in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of ANSWER in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There ain't no answer. There ain't going to be any answer. There never has been an answer. That's the answer.
I know the answer The answer lies within the heart of all mankind The answer is twelve I think I'm in the wrong building.
I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
Do you have the courage to listen to my answer? Don't throw him out. If he'll shut up and listen to my answer, I'll answer it.
If you know the answer, then you have knowledge, but if you know why the answer is right, how to find the answer, and what is the implications of the answer, then you are educated.
Images & Illustrations of ANSWER
Translations for ANSWER
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أجاب, رد, رَدٌّ, إِجَابَةٌ, جَوَابٌ, إجابةArabic
- адка́зваць, адказа́ць, адка́зBelarusian
- отвръщам, отговарям, подхождам, о́тговор, реше́ниеBulgarian
- respondre, respostaCatalan, Valencian
- odpovědět, odpověďCzech
- отъвѣтъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- svare, svarDanish
- antworten, Antwort, LösungGerman
- απαντώ, ανταποκρίνομαι, ανταπαντώ, αποκρούω, αποκρίνομαι, απόκρουση, λύση, απάντηση, απόκριση, ανταπάντησηGreek
- respondi, repliko, respondoEsperanto
- servir, responder, contestar, contestación, respuestaSpanish
- vastama, vastusEstonian
- جواب دادن, پاسخ دادن, پیواژ, پاسخ, جوابPersian
- vastata, vastine, vastaus, ratkaisuFinnish
- svara, svarFaroese
- répondre, solution, réponseFrench
- freagair, freagraIrish
- freagair, freagairtScottish Gaelic
- responder, contestar, respostaGalician
- જવાબ, ઉત્તરGujarati
- מענה, תשובהHebrew
- उत्तर देना, जवाब देना, जवाब, उत्तरHindi
- válaszol, válasz, megoldásHungarian
- պատասխանել, պատասխանArmenian
- respondo, repliko, solvoIdo
- ansa, svara, ans, svarIcelandic
- rispondere, rispostaItalian
- 答える, 返事, 解答, 応答, 答え, 返答, 回答Japanese
- პასუხობს, პასუხიGeorgian
- 회답, 대답Korean
- جێ بهجێ, وهڵامKurdish
- äntweren, Léisung, ÄntwertLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ຕອບ, ຄຳຕອບLao
- atbildēt, atbildeLatvian
- одговара, соодветствува, одговор, решение, о́дговорMacedonian
- jawab, jawaban, jawapan, penyelesaianMalay
- ထူး, အဖြေBurmese
- beantwoorden, antwoorden, antwoordDutch
- tilfredsstille, svare, oppfylle, svar, løsningNorwegian
- respónder, respondre, responsaOccitan
- odpowiedzieć, odpowiadać, odpowiedźPolish
- responder, atender, respostaPortuguese
- rispunder, respunder, raspunder, respuonderRomansh
- răspunde, soluționa, răspuns, soluționare, rezolvare, soluțieRomanian
- отве́тить, соотве́тствовать, отвеча́ть, отве́т, реше́ние, о́тповедьRussian
- arraspundi, respúndiri, rispòndhere, rispònnereSardinian
- одгово́рити, odgovóriti, јавити, о̏дгово̄р, rešénje, реше́ње, rješénje, ȍdgovōr, рјеше́њеSerbo-Croatian
- odpovedať, odpoveďSlovak
- odgovoriti, rešitev, odgovorSlovene
- svara, svarSwedish
- jibu, jawabuSwahili
- సమాధానం, పరిష్కారం, జవాబుTelugu
- ตอบ, คำตอบThai
- yanıt, cevapTurkish
- відповісти́, відповіда́ти, ві́дповідьUkrainian
- جواب دینا, جواب, اترUrdu
- trả lời, câu trả lờiVietnamese
Get even more translations for ANSWER »
Find a translation for the ANSWER definition in other languages:
Select another language: